About Me"My goal is to go to as many schools as possible, reach as many students as possible and inculcate into their minds the importance of staying safe online."
Why am I talking to students?
I have been a middle school Family and Consumer Science teacher for 25 years. As our curriculum changed over the years to keep up with the middle schoolers, social media safety became an integral part of our curriculum.
Fast –forward to Instagram, Snapchat, Tic Toc, etc. and I have witnessed first- hand what social media is doing to my students. They are anxious, depressed, tired, addicted… As I expanded my knowledge and research into social media and incorporated it in grades 6-8, I was hearing from the kids that although they knew they shouldn’t be online as much as they were, they can’t seem to get off social media or find a school-work balance.
As I talk to students, I find they don’t know what they don’t know. They don’t realize the possible implications down the road of an angry post or an inappropriate picture posted today.
My goal is to go to as many schools as possible, reach as many students as possible and inculcate into their minds the importance of staying safe online.
My second goal is to educate parents by increasing their understanding of the possible dangers of their child (under the age of 13) obtaining a social media account, what to do about online bullying, and the importance of having a cell phone contract with their child – as well as providing conversation starters.
I look forward to working with your school to achieve both of these goals.
Articles by Ronna
- When to Introduce a Tablet to Kids. The Babyvine, March 7, 2019.
- Tweens and Cell Phones: Make a Contract for Their Phone Usage. Your Teen Magazine, February 27, 2019.
- Tough Love on Smartphones Will Pay Off For Parents. Buffalo News, January 3, 2019
- Parents Must Monitor Children’s Social Media. Buffalo News, March 1, 2016
Articles about Ronna
- For Better or Worse, Social Media is Here to Stay, by Lindsey Houchin, Angelos, Summer 2019
- Summer Break Calls for Safety on Social Media and With Electronics, by Jeannie McBride, Spectrum News, June 26, 2019
- Radio Interview on “In Our Community with Judge Penny Wolfgang”, WECK Radio, June 8, 2019
- More Bullying Cases Ending Up in Family Court. by Mike Desmond, WBFO News, May 22, 2019
- Social Media Safety With Teens. by Rebecca Thornburg, WKBW Buffalo, May 4, 2019
- 21 Education Experts, Authors, and Blogs to Follow in 2019. by Carmen Jacob, UpJourney, December 10, 2018
- Kids and Social Media: Navigating the Waters. by Joel Lehman. Buffalo Magazine, August 24, 2018
- New York State Middle School Association Conference – Vernon, NY 2018, 2019
- New York State Middle School Association – Middle Level Institute – Saratoga Springs, NY Keynote Speaker 2018, 2019
- AMLE19 – Association for Middle Level Education – November 7-9, 2019
- Williamsville Central Schools – Professional Development Classes – 2013-2019 Topics: Social Media Safety, Mental Health in fiction and non-fiction literature
- Task Force – Currently serving on the Buffalo Schools Anti- Bullying Task Force – https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/29/editorial-an-anti-bullying-pulpit/